Sunday, May 18, 2008

Davis High Class of '98 Now!



Dan Hill
Hey, gang. It’s been cool reading up on everyone. Man, we’re getting old. Well, I have some time to write this paragraph tonight because I’m hiding out in my hotel room on a business trip. There is a drag queen cabaret in the lobby/bar, so I don’t really want to leave my room. If any of you have become drag queens since graduation, I hope I haven’t just offended you. I’m not passing judgment. I’m sure Michelle (the lingerie-wearing man that invited me to the show) is a very nice person. He just makes me feel uncomfortable.

So anyway, on to my life: After Davis I went to BYU for a year, lost my scholarship skiing and sleeping in and not going to class, and then went on an LDS mission to the Connecticut Hartford mission. I came home and went back to BYU. This time I was more disciplined and did ok. In 2004 I married Jamie Jensen, the sister of a mission companion. Our marriage is great. My mom always told me marriage was hard. So far it’s been easy. She’s a great fit for me--really funny, artistic, musical, and a good dancer. She loves me a lot but is embarrassed by my musical and dancing talent. I always knew I was bad at that stuff, but she has me convinced that I’m more likely partially retarded.

Around the time I married Jamie, Tanner Bell and I started Backroad Events (now Ragnar Events) and the Wasatch Back Relay (now Ragnar Relay – Wasatch Back). It’s basically a 180-mile, 12-person, running relay race. It’s more about the party than the running. The race did well and grew. Tanner and I quit our jobs and started a national series called the Ragnar Relay Series. This year we have 7 races, all similar to the original, with races in Arizona, Washington State, Minnesota/Wisconsin, the Washington D.C. area, Texas, and Florida. We have 11 employees.

On October 23rd Jamie and I had our first son, Max Jackson Hill. He’s 7 months old now, and his personality is starting to show through. He’s very smiley and happy. He loves to smile at strangers, and he laughs a lot. I can’t believe how much I love him. People always talk about how much they love their kids. It really is impossible to understand until you have your own.

Well that’s about it. Thanks for updating me on your lives and letting me update you. It’s going to be fun to see everyone in July.

5 comments:

Dallin D. Hutchinson said...

Dan! We need to get you guys down here to the Southern Hemisphere to Tasmania, the endurance race capital of the world. You guys would love it!

Unknown said...

It's on my list. i'll get there as quick as I can.

Wes and Jess said...

yeah I remember, I about lost my scholarship skiing too much too! Ha Ha those days were fun!

Unknown said...

Jess! good to hear from you. what are you guys up to? Are you still teaching?

sarahbellac said...

Sounds like life has treated you well! Hope you have a great summer. Great to hear what you've been up to and keep up the good work.
Sarah (Connors) Petersen