Sunday, May 4, 2008

Davis High Class of '98 Now!


Sara Louise (Williams) Vernon
After leaving the illustrious halls of DHS, I moved down to Provo to attend BYU. A proud Cougar, I studied Elementary Education and graduated in 2002. During those four years I met many nice young men, but no one could compare to the handsome and charming Andy Vernon from Sandy (a Brighton High Bengal--yuck!). Recently returned from a mission in the Dominican Republic, he was tall, tan, and drove a Camaro--how could I resist? We dated 10 months and married in the summer 2000. We spent two happy years living in the cinderblock luxury of BYU housing, with a brief summer working out in the Washington DC area where I enjoyed working as a tour guide and learning all about that amazing city and its history. After my graduation, I spent a year commuting from Provo to Tooele (thank goodness gas prices were lower then!), teaching fourth grade while Andy finished up at BYU. We moved to Mesa, Arizona in July of 2003, arriving on a day when the temperature reached 117 degrees; "trial by fire" has a whole new meaning for me now! Andy attended school at the brand new Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health for the next four years, one of the members of the first graduating class in 2007. During this time, I taught second grade at a very low-income school in the heart of town. Most of my students were ELL students, many of whom came into my classroom without knowing a word of English. It was very challenging, but rewarding at the same time. After two years in Mesa, our adorable daughter, Katie, was born. I was excited to be able to stay home full-time with her, although I missed being able to sleep more than three hours at a time. When Andy graduated in May of 2007, we moved back to good old Davis County and bought a house in Bountiful. In July 2007, our son, Micah, was born. Andy is currently working as a dental resident at the University of Utah Hospital and we are exploring our options as to what we will end up doing next. In the meantime, I enjoy reading, watching "The Office," and dreaming of the day our student loans will be paid off.

No comments: