Thursday, June 19, 2008

Davis High Class of '98 Now!



Kathryn Everton
After graduating from DHS with a year of early college under my belt from good old Weber State, I started on the path to becoming a pharmacist at the University of Utah. After a year of treading the shark-infested waters that is the pre-med/pre-pharmacy experience, I threw in the basic sciences towel and decided I might want to try out a communications major. I failed to develop an interest in public relations and broadcast journalism, but I finally found my niche with print journalism. This was the perfect major for me, and I really enjoyed my classes. Especially the editorial writing classes where I found I had a knack for writing tirades on various political themes. I have never had a problem expressing myself, as my mother will tell you.

Meanwhile, I met my handsome husband, with blue eyes and brown curly hair and the best sense of humor I have ever encountered in a human being. We get along really well because we are both geeks. He was an anesthesiology resident at the University, and the more I heard him talk about his job as a doctor, the more I knew that I would regret it if I didn't at least apply to medical school. Luckily, the University of Utah doesn't mind people who major in writing and take 6 years to complete their BA. I started medical school in 2003, graduated in 2007, and I am just finishing up an internship at the new behemoth Intermountain Medical Center (affectionately known as the Death Star when hospital executives aren't prowling the halls). The highlight of my internship was spending a month in South Africa on a neuropathology rotation. I spent some time working with cadaver brains and went on a weekend safari with my hubby to celebrate our 5th anniversary.

I am moving to North Carolina at the end of June to complete a residency and fellowship in radiology at Duke University Medical Center. Only 5 more years of school! If you ever need somebody to analyze your insides and point out all the weird stuff in your tummy or brain, I'm your girl. Just remember, you never want to be a "really interesting case."

When not working 80 hours a week taking care of all the sweet little old ladies in Utah, my husband, Michael Tielborg, and I enjoy hiking with our two adopted pound puppies (Maggie and Lucy), camping, snowboarding, golfing, traveling and eating really good food wherever we can find it.

Sorry I will be missing the reunion this year. Hope to see you all at our 20th!

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Damn Katie! I haven't seen you forever! We'll miss you at our annual girls retreat. I'm glad everything is great for you.

Maria said...

Hi Katie,

You are amazing! Congratulations on all your schooling. Are you going into neurology? I have some questions for you if you are!

Sorry to miss you this summer!
Maria Watkins Phippen

Annie said...

Katie,
We'll miss you at the retreat and the reunion. Good luck w/the move. What's up w/only talking about snowboarding and not skiing???

sarahbellac said...

Hey Katie - Congrats on everything! You look very happy! I went to the U Med School too...small world...(although I guess we are both Utahns, so that's not really TOO random!). Best wishes at Dartmouth and congrats on finishing up intern year! I'm out in Kansas City doing a peds residency.

Amanda said...

holy cannoli katie, reading your blog makes me think i'm a lazy bum! i love that you're doing so well and excelling in all the smart kid stuff. guess all those years of satellite didn't go to waste! lol lots of love to you. let's keep in touch.

Clarkson said...

Katie! I haven't seen you in seriously SO long! How does that happen when we grew up across the street from each other! Sounds like you are doing well. Drop me a line when you can! Chelsea (VanNoy) Clarkson
chelseaclarkson@hotmail.com